Published Monday, April 28, 2014
The province is giving out the first round of flood recovery grants and five Calgary organizations will benefit from the funding.
A total of $4M is available through the Special Flood Recovery Program to help flood-impacted non-profits; $1 million in 2013-14 and $3 million through Budget 2014.
“Nonprofit organizations provide essential programs and services for families and communities. This funding will not only assist organizations with reconstruction and renovation projects, it will help address the increased demand put on programs as a result of the 2013 floods. It will help our communities continue to rebuild.” said Heather Klimchuk, Minister of Culture
Organizations receiving grants to assist in flood recovery include:
- Southern Alberta Hostelling Association – $242,100 for facility restoration costs
- Calgary Drop-In & Rehab Centre Society – $200,000 for facility renovation and operational costs
- Fresh Start Addictions Centre – $75,000 to offset costs associated with additional client services during the flood
- Calgary Young Women’s Christian Association – $75,000 for redesigning staff positions
- The Calgary Zoological Society – $75,000 for Calgary Zoo rebuilding costs